Monday, September 13, 2010

I LOVE IT HERE!

Okay Grammy, close your eyes. I LOVE IT HERE IN KANSAS! I know you don't want to hear that because you miss us and we miss you too, but I am really loving this area. It shouldn't be confused with the Mid-West (I thought it was but was corrected recently) because Kansas is in the Plains and Rockies region.

What I am loving the most is the hospitality of the people here. I have yet to come across anyone rude (minus that effing Lansing cop that was insistent on writing me a $130 speeding ticket for only going 51 in a 40). But I have to admit that my most favorite is the farmer's market. This isn't like any old farmer's market (especially the kind I grew up going to). Twice a week I have been loading up the kiddos and the stroller and heading down to Haymarket Square. Armed with my checkbook (yes, I said checkbook. I usually forget to take cash and those little ole farmers don't take a debit card) the kids and I load up on the freshest produce, meats and flowers. I usually spend about $35 each visit, but we eat a lot of produce and I would rather pay this price than paying for that rotten stuff I blogged about earlier.

On my last visit, I loaded up on small okra pods, pickling cucumbers, apples, pears, green beans, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and some cinnamon rolls from Mama Gina's. I am going to make Michael some pickled okra and some pickles and last night I made the best pot of green beans with potatoes. I could have eaten the entire pot!

So Grammy, if you want some yummy fresh produce, come visit us!! We miss you!

I turned this:

into this!

1 comment: