Sunday, January 18, 2009

battles with a 3 year old

Don't get me wrong, I love my precious daughter, but like most children, she can be a handful. Right now she is dealing with her world being turned upside down by our newest addition, Tristan. It has always been the two of us, day in and day out forever and now she is having to share my attention and time with her new baby brother. I understand that it is difficult for her to understand. My mother told me that she will adjust and I do believe that, I just wish it would have happened yesterday!

There are many, many battles in our home right now, eating (this has always been a battle with us), back talking, hitting, kicking, and refusing to go to bed (more like refusing to stay in her room).

I know what the problem is and I honestly haven't had the energy to fix it. She needs more time and one on one attention from both of her parents, mainly me. Today is a new day with a new set of rules in our home. I know that there will be some people that don't agree with the way Michael and I are going to handle this, and that is ok. Tobbie is our child and we have to find a way that is going to work for our family unit.

I started reading a new book last night by Dr. Kevin Leman (he is the guy that does the infomercials on the radio, the total transformation guy), "Have a new kid by Friday." This book is going to become my new bible. I will make this work and I will make my child respectful and pleasant to be around. I owe it to her, and I WILL win the time out war!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how that goes! we're dealing with some of the same stuff with our 3 year old...that and out-right refusing to potty train. I'm eager for any tips on how to deal with this!

    ReplyDelete